As astonishing as it may sound, very few dentists are concerned about the amount of mercury they may have floating around in their offices, despite the fact that they often work with patients who have old mercury fillings, says Natural News founder Mike Adams, the Health Ranger.
In a recent podcast, Adams said that the “anti-science” dental industry today essentially operates like a criminal enterprise by failing to address a huge mercury health risk for patients.
Adams noted that it doesn’t have to be this way.
He notes that Colorado-based Mercury Instruments USA Inc. sells special equipment that gauges mercury levels in the air. The high-tech equipment is used at industrial sites around the world to help train people to avoid invisible mercury.
Further, he notes, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has set the average workday exposure limit for mercury at 100 micrograms per cubic meter. OSHA requires workers to wear protective equipment when mercury is over the limit. Sadly, many dentists don’t care about the amount of mercury in their offices, he notes.
But they should, because he says mercury present in dental offices subsequently gets inhaled by patients, mostly (because staff wear masks) and that mercury then makes its way into the patient’s bloodstream. Mercury, of course, is a neurotoxin, and way back in 2008 the Food and Drug Administration even admitted, albeit reluctantly, that mercury fillings have neurotoxic effects, especially on children, as Natural News reported.
Mercury Instruments CEO Alex Hummell has stated that alarmingly few dentists are concerned about mercury levels in their dental practices.
“When amalgams are installed or removed, mercury is released into the mouths of patients and into the surrounding air. High-speed vacuums are often used to suction the debris away from patients, but this doesn’t stop the spread of mercury completely,” Natural News reported last year.
Hummell said that he has taken mercury measurements in dental offices and found levels to be two to three times greater than OSHA limits. In one measurement, Hummell assessed mercury levels 30 times the OSHA limit after just one amalgam was removed.
“I’ve seen in dental offices what would make these other offices have to shut down,” said Hummell. “They would be closing their doors and getting respirators on.”
Instead, he said, “there are kids running around everywhere. It’s nuts. It’s the exact same toxin, and it’s being treated totally differently. Why is it being allowed to be so unregulated?”
Adams wonders the same thing. He also wonders why a top dental organization is lashing out against Hummell.
He’s “getting threatened by the American Dental Association because he took his mercury detection instrument and he used them in dental offices to measure the level of mercury floating around in the air…”
And, as you can see above, the results were amazing — amazingly dangerous, that is.
During the course of working with mercury fillings, the vapor from the drilling wafts into the room and throughout the dental office, landing and collecting on surfaces — especially those that don’t get much attention from office cleaning crews like blinds, overhead lighting, and so forth. That particulate then becomes ‘airborne’ when its disturbed, either by heating and cooling systems or by motion and activity, Adams said later in his podcast.
“If you touch a doorknob you’re touching mercury,” he said. “If you pick up a pen” to sign in or “fill out a form, you’re touching mercury.”
Adams likened the mercury contamination in dentistry offices to lead-contaminated water in Flint, Michigan — which is still occurring, he said.